Mission: Philippines 2011
A Light for Les-eng
By Ace Concordia
C4C Philippines coordinator
Stumbling, slipping, and falling to the ground. This is usually what happens when we go night trekking. The darkness slows you down, and makes you doubt every step. If not for that amazing invention called a “Head Lamp,” I don’t think anyone would even consider climbing a mountain during the night.
The obstacles that we encounter on the trail are magnified in their risk because of the darkness. It would be dangerous and reckless to attempt any climb without being able to see what’s ahead of you. It is literally like walking blindfolded into a minefield. Every step could bring tragedy.
My life used to be a walk in the dark. I was stumbling, slipping, and falling to the ground often. Sometimes I would get hurt so bad that I didn’t know if I had anything left to get back up again.
But then a Light came into my life. That was the saving grace of Jesus Christ. He became a lamp to light my way, and because of His light that shines in the darkness I now have hope. I can walk into the future with confidence, I can see the dangers that lie in wait in the darkness, I can see the great plans that were once hidden from me, and I can see things I’ve never seen before. My life has changed because every step I take is illuminated by God’s light.
The mission of Climbing For Christ Philippines is to share this Light of hope. That is why we continue to go on mission climb to reach out to the mountain communities of Kibungan in the Benguet Province.
From June 9 to 16, C4C Philippines will be returning to Kibungan to do a traverse starting from Kibungan Poblacion and exiting via La Union. Along the way we will return to the village of Tacadang for the fifth mission climb there, and then visit the village of Les-eng for the first time. We will be bringing Bibles, school supplies, medicines, and the message of the love of Jesus. Our purpose is to share our faith and build friendships with the Kankanaey people.
To share the Light of Jesus is the greatest gift we can give anyone. Join us in bringing this Light that gives hope and will change the lives of the people of Les-eng.
How you can help
C4C Philippines would like to ask you include us in your prayers!
- Please pray that we will be able to gather the school materials, medicines, Bibles, and other essentials to bring to Kibungan.
- Please pray for the health of C4C volunteers.
- Please pray for good weather.
- Please pray for our friends in the local government of Kibungan, who provide invaluable assistance and support on our mission climbs.
- But, most of all, please pray that we are able to share the great love that Jesus has for the people of Kibungan.
You can also be part of the mission by sharing what you have with the people of Kibungan. Here’s a list of items we are gathering:
- Bibles (English or Ilocano).
- School materials (notebooks, pencils, Cartolina, pad paper, erasers, rulers, etc.).
- Sports and recreational equipment for the school (basketball, volleyball, chess board, board games, etc.).
- Bags of salt.
- Medicines and health supplements.
- New or gently used clothing.
- You can also be a blessing by financially donating to buy these and other much-needed items especially Bibles and medicines to be brought to Kibungan. For those who want to share their blessings, please contact us at the information provided below.
Les-eng. (Photo by Kolbel Acquiapat, Mission: Philippines 2008)
Climb with us! The Bible says that there is no greater love than for a man to give his life for a friend. We would like to invite those who would like to give a few days of their lives to serve and love the people of Kibungan. If you are a mountaineer or an outdoor enthusiast, who would like to share his or her abilities and skills to climb and care for those in need, then we invite you to join us on a mission to touch the lives of Kankanaey people with the love of Jesus Christ!
DOCTORS & NURSES NEEDED: If you work in the medical field — as a doctor or a nurse — and you have some climbing experience we would like to invite you to join us for a medical mission on our climbs. There are many cases of malnutrition among children and iodine deficiency leading to cases of goiter among the people of Kibungan. Your medical skills would be a huge blessing to their community.
For more information
Itineraries and schedules for the mission climb will follow. If you are interested in knowing more about C4C Philippines and any of these events join our weekly BS (Base Camp sessions) at Alabang Town Center McDonald’s starting at 8 p.m. on Wednesdays.
For inquiries, you may contact:
Posted May 23, 2011